Protecting and caring for the environment and our planet is a full time job. It isn’t always easy and there seems to be an impending disaster no matter where we turn to. There are days that it all seems like too much and covering our ears and hiding under the sheets seems like a good alternative. Yes, there are big issues to address, but every single person does make a difference. No matter how small something seems, our actions have far reaching impacts.
Forgot about all of the meetings, the brainstorming, the ideas and the preparation and just do something. It is easy to sit back and criticize and find a million excuses on why we shouldn’t take action on all of those brilliant ideas that are put out into the universe. How many times do we see something on Facebook and think, wow that is a great idea, I should participate in that? It merely gets a “like,” but rarely does that like turn into action.
What does taking action mean when it comes to doing positive things for the planet? It can start with something easy and most importantly it starts with you.
- Dedicate a week to not purchasing bottled water and commit to only using your reusable container.
- Join a group that does clean ups in your local area.
- Become a mentor for someone and work together on environmental projects.
- Lend your voice to the community on a forum that gives helpful advice to live a greener lifestyle.
- Become an influencer by leading by example. If you see trash lying on the ground, pick it up and get it to the proper receptacle.
- Bring your reusable bags when you head to your local store and say no to the plastic bags.
- Recycle your household aluminum cans, glass, cardboard and plastic.
- Start a small garden and grow your own herbs.
- Start a compost pile
- Donate your old clothes instead of throwing them away.And the list goes on and on…
There are lots of easy things that anyone can do that have positive results for both you and the planet. You don’t have to be a scientist. Remember, when you make a change you become a leader and inspire others to follow in your footsteps. What action are you taking starting today?
Photo image credit to FreeDigitalPhotos.Net
Here’s another way to take action locally–if you believe in the Ethics of Permaculture (Earth Care, People Care, Fair Share), please support “We Grow From Here” as we stand for our principles in court August 8th (read more here: http://wegrowfromhere.wordpress.com/2014/07/23/on-the-radio-wmnf-sustainable-living-and-alternative-health-show/) and PLEASE sign the petition!
Yes, that is a great way to take action locally. Thank you for sharing your resource. We will have to connect soon. And thank you for taking action in the community!!